Mailboxes can create a safety hazard if they are not constructed and installed properly. It is important to ensure the safety of vehicle passengers or pedestrians that mailboxes will break away, if hit. Therefore, it is very important to install mailboxes per the following guidelines:
- Mailboxes must be properly installed so as to allow for convenient servicing by the letter carrier and avoid future problems.
- The use of a group mailbox stand (i.e., a number of mailboxes on one support) is encouraged where possible. This helps the letter carriers to speed up deliveries and avoids damage by snowplows.
- Only United States Postal Service approved mailboxes may be used.
- The bottom of the mailbox must be 40 - 44 inches above the pavement surface.
- Residents are responsible for keeping their mailbox in good repair.
- The ideal mailbox support is an assembly which, if struck, bends or falls away from the striking vehicle so as to not severely damage the vehicle and injure its occupants. Mailbox supports no larger than 4 inch by 4 1/2 inch wood posts, or 2 inch diameter standard steel or aluminum pipe, buried no more than 24 inches in the ground, should safely breakaway if struck by a vehicle.
- The use of heavy metal posts, concrete posts, and miscellaneous items of farm equipment such as milk cans filled with concrete is not permitted. A brick, stone, or any cement structure of permanent nature is strictly prohibited.
- Check with your local post office for guidelines on the proper installation of mailboxes.
- Not all mailbox damage is from Township equipment. Old, rotted, rusted through posts or vandalized boxes are not the Township's responsibility.
- If a mailbox doesn't conform with Township guidelines, we will not be responsible for damage.
The above regulations comply with the National Safety Council and Federal Highway Administration regulations.
See here for more information: Mailbox Install Guidelines
.IF THE TOWNSHIP VEHICLES DAMAGE YOUR MAILBOX AND/OR POST, WE WILL REPAIR OR REPLACE IT WITH A STANDARD TREATED WOODEN POST AND/OR STANDARD US POSTAL MAILBOX.